Sunday, September 6, 2009

My Life as a Movie

I feel like my life is a movie; not a Blockbuster or "Must-See!", but an indie flick, misunderstood by most and mistaken as boring or blasé.  However, my movie is appreciated by the select few not preoccupied by pop culture, looking for art, sentiment, and raw emotion.  They appreciate my my movie.  
I think I equate my movie to Sideways.  It's a coming of age flick about people trying to find who they are.  I'm there:  I just graduated from college, I'm at the end of one phase of my life and about to start a new phase - like the men in Sideways (follow me here, people), I'm in transition. Who are my friends?  Where am I going?  What will my life bring?  When the heck am I going to get a job gosh darn it!!  The wine happens to make the movie much like my life, too!


Okay, so seriously, I haven't taken the job hunting thing very seriously.  This is different from 99.9% of my peers who have also graduated in 2009 (who didn't pursue graduate school).  I could have done it.  Settled for a job.  Started something new.  But I didn't.  I took advantage of the recession and I choose to figure out what I want to do.  

Well, now I've figured it out.  Four long months later, I know EXACTLY what I want to do...  And where I want to work.  I've found my job.  I haven't been this sure about something in years - maybe ever.  I don't know that anything has ever clicked like this job did for me.  I mean, since my first phone interview until now (which happens to have been fifteen interviews, including two on-site interviews) this job has been completely and totally perfect for me.  

So now, for about a month and half, two months, I've been in the throws of courting this company.  Thinking positive thoughts.  Preparing for interviews.  Sending emails to as many people as I can.  Sending thank you cards.  Telling all of my curious friends that I know just as much about the job as they do.  I'm waiting for the day when they call me up and they say, "Emily.  We want you.  Come here next week."  

But in the mean time, I feel as though I need to hedge my bets.  Because as sure as I am that I'm getting this job (and if you know me, this much positive energy is difficult upkeep), I need a back up.  My job at the country club ends Columbus Day, whether I'm ready or not (though I have NO idea why I wouldn't be ready) and I need something lined up by then...  At the very least, I need to know that I will have something shortly after.

Now is the time I pull on everything I've learned.  I know HOW to market myself, I know how to research good companies...  I just need to do it.  Does anyone have any leads?  Time to start hunting the Connecticut/New York area for a good, quality, awesome(!!) job....

Wish me luck?...! 

No comments:

Post a Comment